14
yuzuru wrote:Well, Joseph Crane?s book: Astrological roots, covers some hellenistic time lords methods like decennials, aphesis from fortuna, ages of man, and ascensional times of planets (acc Valens).

But, besides the early circumambulations (peripatos) I don?t see the connection of these methods with PDs.
Hello Yuzuru,

Yes indeed, I have to read Crane's book. On the other, the booklet I refered to, refers also on Junctinus treatise on solar returns and its sources, which might be Abu'mashar... So, I will wait for Martin's book and order J. Crane's Roots. Thank you!
Regards,
François CARRIÈRE

15
Hello Francois,
carriere.francois wrote:
Yes indeed, I have to read Crane's book. On the other, the booklet I refered to, refers also on Junctinus treatise on solar returns and its sources, which might be Abu'mashar... So, I will wait for Martin's book and order J. Crane's Roots. Thank you!
As Yuzuru told you the last part is about some hellenistic techniques, but be careful because it's a book for beginners, I mean, a nice book and clearly written, but... for beginners.

Margherita
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com

16
steven wrote:So I will do just that and you will find my response in a new topic in the Traditional forum ? Primary Directions and Prediction.
Hello Margherita and Steven,

Thank you to both of you.

Margherita, I still do need some good beginners books (even though I have a correspondance course with Labour?, which have but a few predictive techniques), so Crane's book will be welcome.

Steven, thank you for opening this topic, which is welcome!
Regards,
François CARRIÈRE

17
Hello Francois,

My book is mainly about primary directions as such, and there isn't a great deal on other techniques. Directions through the terms (the divisor technique) and by rising times alone are discussed in the history chapter, and auxiliary techniques (profections, transits, revolutions) in the final chapter, but not exhaustively.

The table of contents, for anyone interested, looks as follows:

1. The basics: what are primary directions?
2. A brief history of primary directions
3. The three-dimensional chart
4. Directing planets
5. Directing aspects
6. The quest for precision
7. Getting technical: more variables
8. Modern innovations
9. The hyleg and the length of life
10. Primary directions and other predictive techniques
Appendix I: Formulae for calculating primary directions
Appendix II: Software offering primary directions

There is, of course, also a glossary, a bibliography, and an index.