Re: House rulers and their dignities
Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:04 pm
Hi Clelia!Clelia Romano wrote:I understood that you?re trying to validate Fagan/Bradley through the study of Egyptian Terms, isn?t it?
May be I really miss the point but bounds aren?t a so bigger dignity to validate a system instead of another one, in my opinion.
Why you haven?t use rulership, for example?
Well, strictly speaking my intention was not to try to validate Fagan/Bradley through the study of Egyptian bounds. All the ayanamsas and the tropical zodiac started from an equal position. I used sidereal Lahiri myself when I started the Egyptian bounds study, and it was a bit surprise that Fagan/Bradley did so strong.
Then why did I use such a minor dignity as bounds? Actually bounds were not considered a minor dignity in Hellenistic astrology, but according to some sources they had as much importance as the signs. Why then so few astrologers use them today? Honestly speaking, even traditionalists are not quite sure what to do with them.
My personal opinion is that it?s because the precession has taken meaning away from the tropical bounds. I?ve recently sorted the ?planet on the Ascendant? pictures in another gallery according to the sidereal rising sign, bound and degree. There you can see how the bounds show up in the appearance http://koti.welho.com/jmetsovu/ascendant_gallery.htm . I don?t know about you, but at least I see how the people with the same sign and bound rising look alike, and their appearances reflect the nature of the planet ruling the ascending bound.
Last year I made quite a lot of qualitative research on the bounds and found a lot of meaning in them. I?ll take one example, but here Lahiri works actually better than Fagan/Bradley (there?s a difference of 57?) so I admit this is a bit confusing
What do William Blatty, Alice Cooper, Harry Lillis Crosby Jr., Jennifer Jason Leigh and David Lynch have in common? Answer: all have written, played or performed roles in horror or otherwise disturbing scenes. William Blatty is the author of ?The Exorcist?; Alice Cooper is a well-known horror rocker, Harry Lillis Crosby Jr. played in ?Friday the 13th?; Jennifer Jason Leigh ?has played a wide variety of disturbing and challenging roles? (ADB); and David Lynch has directed some of the weirdest films of the late 20th century. All have five or six of their seven traditional planets added with the Nodes (meaning five or six planets or points out of nine) in the sidereal bounds of Saturn, the planet of dark regions. I got quite a lot of similar results when collecting charts with emphasis in bounds ruled by a certain planet.
Another reason for using bounds rather than signs is that ADB calculates control groups by shuffling the original data, which means that you have the same amount of different dates than in the test group but connected with different years, times and places. The credit side of that is that we have for example the phenomenon called ?baby boom? ? there?s more people born in the late 40?s than anytime else which means that they all have Saturn in about the same two signs. Another point is that more people are born in early spring than in autumn, so we have more people with their Sun in tropical Pisces or Aries than in tropical Virgo or Libra, which is reflected also in positions of Mercury and Venus. If we had a completely random control group, our studies would always show preponderance with Saturn in tropical Leo and the Sun in Pisces or Aries (and Mercury and Venus nearby) and that would twist our studies.
But the minus side of the shuffled control group is that you will never get very clear or meaningful results by studying only signs. If it so happened that your test group actually had emphasis with the Sun, Mercury, Venus, Saturn or Jupiter in certain signs, your control group would almost always reflect that emphasis because the data would have been scattered on the same dates and years! By studying bounds that handicap is not so obvious, but it might be useful to do the study again by using completely random controls.
You probably know that the Gauqelin data is on the net on the C.U.R.A. site http://cura.free.fr/gauq/17archg.html . There are for example 2089 sports champions, 3439 military men, 3647 men of science, 1249 musicians, 1473 painters, 1409 actors, 1003 politicians and 2027 writers and journalists. The mean value of those sample sizes is about 1807. The mean value of my sample sizes is about 976, so we might say that the typical Gauquelin samples were about two times bigger as my samples in the bounds study (not a hundred times bigger).Clelia Romano wrote:And now I see ( and I include myself in that) that we are trying to get very specific conclusions using comparatively very small samples, when they used a hundred times bigger size samples in their studies!
But in the bounds study I used all the seven traditional planets and their independent positions, so actually that makes the amount of the independent parameters seven times bigger than the amount of charts. So the average sample size in the bounds study is actually about 6832 meaning that for example in the sample of 929 charts (long lived people) we are not studying 929 parameters but 7x929=6503 parameters, 6503 independent agents which can be in any bound. So it?s actually less probable to get results with them than to get results by studying one parameter / chart.
Sari