37 by Deb My full copy is on its way. Also remember that Ben made available for free a 36-page PDF file featuring sizeable extracts from his introduction and two of the translations. http://www.skyscript.co.uk/persian1.html Quote Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:00 am
38 by margherita Deb wrote: Also remember that Ben made available for free a 36-page PDF file featuring sizeable extracts from his introduction and two of the translations. http://www.skyscript.co.uk/persian1.html Yes, the one with Mashallah version of Anonymous 379 list of stars, a pearl between pearls. margherita Traditional astrology at http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com Quote Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:09 pm
39 by Tom Dr. Dykes' intros are usually almost as valuable as the work itself, I received my copy on Saturday and I disagree with the above statement. The introduction is as valuable as the book itself - not almost. I read it twice before starting on the book. And I too have a tattered AFA copy of Al Khayyat, so a new copy is welcome. I just started this and I'm looking forward to volume II. I also have an observation that I want to research elsewhere before making it public. Nice job as expected Dr. Ben. Tom Quote Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:10 pm
40 by James E. GR wrote:Has anyone else picked it up, and if not, why haven't you sold a pint or 2 to a shady blood bank to get it yet? Expecting Persian Nativities Vol 1 and Works of Sahl & Masha'allah; and I won't tell anyone what I had to do to get those james Quote Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:20 am
The VaharaMihira Chair in Jyotisa, Div School, U of Chicago 41 by SGFoxe I'm working on it. Strategy: $5 million to establish the generic Chair at U of Chicago There is a Maharaja's Ransom available for this purpose within the American Hindu Community U of Chi was established (the 2nd time in 1892 -- its symbol the Phoenix) from Rockefeller's oil money and has a SPLENDID department and reputation in Assyriology and languages Quote Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:04 pm
Dykes' Book 42 by SGFoxe I'm toying with buying it -- EXCEPT -- Persian astrology started with its Empire -- the Magi who accompanied Cyrus's conquest of Babylon (Herodotus you hellenists) learned it from primarily the prophet Daniel who as a captive counselor astrologer to Nebachadnezzar left the gates of Babylon open for Cyrus' armies and thus became the Chief of the Magi since he taught the Magi the starry art of Babylon which, as captive and scholar, he had mastered. Which sort of refutes Rabbi Dobson's argument (in To Rule both Night and Day) that Abraham was an astrologer in Chaldea ... well Hamurabi and Marduk had not invented astrology yet (abraham 2200 bce, hamurabi & the fifth book of creation 1750) Proof besides the biblical is corroborated in the classics: again in Herodotus -- i stumbled through it in a greek class, but really read the translations: the magi who accompanied cyrus were a sacerdotal aryan tribe -- like the hebrew levites or the indoaryan brahmins -- their presence mandated for rites and rituals to have affect and effect -- they attended & officiated at sacrifices. however the magi who accompanied xerxes knew astrology -- advising xerxes how the eclipses would affect his campaign The earliest roots of Hellenistic astrology can be found in Ionia, which was part of the Persian Empire -- Herodotus was born in a Greek (Spartan) colony -- Halicarnassus -- within the Persian empire. He was about 4 years old when the eclipse that presaged Thermapylae why have none of you greek speaking hellenists read herodotus? Also -- in one of the pdf excerpts, Dykes references John Dee saying "007" was his code -- yes BUT 007 was not numerological but rather drawn as a lorgnette -- a rebus meaning Elizabeth's Eyes -- eg spy ... Quote Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:17 pm
Re: Dykes' Book 43 by epurdue SGFoxe wrote:I'm toying with buying it -- EXCEPT -- Persian astrology started with its Empire -- the Magi who accompanied Cyrus's conquest of Babylon (Herodotus you hellenists) learned it from primarily the prophet Daniel who as a captive counselor astrologer to Nebachadnezzar left the gates of Babylon open for Cyrus' armies and thus became the Chief of the Magi since he taught the Magi the starry art of Babylon which, as captive and scholar, he had mastered. And if those books show up maybe Ben will translate them as volume 3. In the meantime... Quote Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:26 pm
44 by astroart I'm not so sure that is correct simply because there are many manuscripts in the Istanbul library which are Pahlavi translations of most of the early Greek authors. Omar could read and translate Pahlavi! I know specifically that both Valens and Dorotheus are in Pahlavi manuscripts - complete! Yet as you mentioned there is no one to translate these. Steve, it's a really great! Did you know in which library are stored these manuscipts?In National (Millet) Library, in Nuruosmaniye Library, in S?leymaniye Library or in any other? For example the Arabic translation of Sasanian textbook on genethlialogy Kit?b al-Maw?l?d(Book of Nativities) of Zaradusht is preserved in Nuruosmaniye Library in Istanbul. http://www.astro-art.com/ Quote Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:34 am
46 by Estebon_Duarte Mithra6 wrote:Is the article available? here's one source... http://www.astrologiamedieval.com/firdaria.htm Western Predictive Astrology by Estebon Duarte Independent Researcher AMA MACAA Natal Chart & Annual Solar Revolution Reports www.organic-astrology.com Quote Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:02 am