Deb wrote:Juan, if you are able to get the Moon at 19.10 Libra without losing the Sagittarius ascendant and the quadrant placement of the Sun, please provide the data as I'd be very interested - this is something I have spent some time checking already.
In previous emails I had not made the actual chart, but now I have it in front of me on the screen and I see your point.
Just for the record, let me say that I am not expecting the lunar position to be exact, I am assuming that it will be approximate within plus or minus 5 or 6 degrees, which is a common error I have seen when comparing ancient charts with modern computation.
I am also checking as I write the text by Ibrahim Allawi. As you have mentioned he provides a copy of the original manuscript with the horoscope drawn with arabic letters and numerals (fig.5), and later on in Table 1 he provides the positions according to this chart. It is here where some discrepancies or errors are evident, that I was not aware of when I wrote my first comments based on him back in 2003, and that you have brought to my attention now.
Allawi gives the lunar position from Biruni as 29,10 Libra. This is the position I used originally, that supports the July 31st date. But in my previous post I ignored this and mentioned instead the lunar position given by Sachau which I had at hand, and this position is 19,10 Libra, which changes the situation and makes the July 30th date plaussible. Since I had based myself on Allawi before, I had not considered this date.
Since you have provided the positions as listed by David Pingree giving the Moon in 19 Libra, it becomes evident as you are pointing out that Allawi made a mistake.
Another discrepancy from Allawi is to list Saturn in 1,40 Aries with an error of 0,15 from the tropical position, which makes it evident that the position should be read as 1 Taurus. The confusion augments with the fact that Sachau's translated version of the horoscope on page 263 does not include Saturn (that I can see), while Pingree says it is given by Biruni as 26,40 Aries. This Saturn position by Pingree contradicts the 2 independent positions listed by Allawi in Table 1 from Biruni and Ibn al-Faqih, which however he lists as 1 Aries but calculates the modern tropical offset from 1 Taurus.
So I understand now --and was not aware before-- the ambivalence of the 2 dates (July 30 and 31st).
In my limited experience the position of the Sun in ancient horoscopes tends to be exact withing about half a degree, contrary to what is the rule in the case of the Moon. If we assume that 1) the degree of the Sun is correct and 2) the zodiac used was that of the Zij-Al-Sha, using Riyal I get
2:30 pm apparent time
July 30 762
Sun 7,04 Leo / Moon 11,10 Libra
July 31 762
Sun 8,01 Leo / Moon 24,55 Libra
Juan