Page 1 of 1

Mark Twain - great quotes

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:42 pm
by Deb
A classic: something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read.

Put all your eggs in the one basket and--WATCH THAT BASKET.

There is nothing you can say in answer to a compliment. I have been complimented myself a great many times, and they always embarrass me--I always feel that they have not said enough.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.

It takes your enemy and your friend, working together, to hurt you to the heart: the one to slander you and the other to get the news to you.

Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.

Nothing that grieves us can be called little: by the eternal laws of proportion a child?s loss of a doll and a king?s loss of a crown are events of the same size.

Martyrdom covers a multitude of sins.

By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity. Another man?s, I mean.

The man who is a pessimist before 48 knows too much; if he is an optimist after it, he knows too little.

India has 2,000,000 gods, and worships them all. In religion other countries are paupers; India is the only millionaire.

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy, and a tragedy.

The man with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds.

There is no sadder sight than a young pessimist, except an old optimist.

My books are water; those of the great geniuses wine. Everybody drinks water.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.

When angry, count four; when very angry, swear.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:53 pm
by haku
:D

you forgot an important one:

Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of
eighty and gradually approach eighteen.

another great quote

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:40 pm
by graelhaven
I have no idea who said it but it just struck me as beautiful! heard it on the radio the other day....

"love is a good friendship that has caught on fire."

MissB

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:37 pm
by Tom
Mark Twain is one of my favorites. He gave the following advice when attending a funeral "Do not bring your dog." I also love his definition of golf: "A good walk spoiled." An expert is "Some guy from out of town."

And then there is the all time champeen: "No man's life or property is safe when Congress is in session."

Tom

Mark Twain Quote

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:00 pm
by Steve
Another Twain Quote: "The same nature which delights in periodical repetitions in the skies is the nature which orders the affairs of the earth. Let us not underate the value of that hint."

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:09 pm
by Mark
I know I am being predictable but with the synchronicity between Mark Twain and Halley's comet I cannot resist the following quote from him:
I came in with Halley's Comet in 1835. It is coming again next year (1910), and I expect to go out with it. It will be the greatest disappointment of my life if I don't go out with Halley's Comet. The Almighty has said, no doubt: "Now here are these two unaccountable freaks; they came in together, they must go out together."
- Mark Twain, a Biography

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:38 pm
by margherita
MarkC wrote:I know I am being predictable but with the synchronicity between Mark Twain and Halley's comet I cannot resist the following quote from him
I'm starting to have nightmares full of comets, and you?

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:54 pm
by Mark