New Website for Hellenistic Astrology
Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:00 am
I recently started a new website for Hellenistic astrology at http://hellenisticastrology.com, and I wanted to let everyone know about it.
A large part of the focus of the website is a cooperative translation project for producing translations of Hellenistic astrological texts which will then be presented online to the public for free. Like many of you I have become somewhat impatient with the slow rate of publication of translations of Hellenistic astrological texts, so I thought that it was time for the astrological community to take matters back into their own hands, and to finally move forward with the revival of the Hellenistic tradition.
So far I have been working on the project with a group of friends, and we have already had two translations contributed to the site. Both are from texts that have never been translated and published anywhere before, as far as I know. They are still works in progress, but I thought that many of the people on this forum would find them interesting.
The first is a chapter from book 9 of Vettius Valens' Anthology where Valens is discussing the concept that would later become known as the decumbiture chart:
http://hellenisticastrology.com/wiki/in ... _Chapter_5
The second translation is from the later 'Hellenistic' author Rhetorius of Egypt where he outlines the topics and significations associated with the 12 places or houses:
http://hellenisticastrology.com/wiki/in ... lve_Places
I'm still in the process of entering in all of the Greek text for each of these translations, and we still have much work to do, but I wanted to let everyone know what we are up to.
We are still looking for new members to join us and to contribute to the project, particularly if they are bilingual, although we are pretty much open to anyone who feels that they have something useful that they could contribute to the project.
We feel like it is time to open up the study of Hellenistic astrology to the wider community, since the tradition belongs to all of us. If you would like to be involved then just let us know.
Here is the link to our main page again: http://hellenisticastrology.com
A large part of the focus of the website is a cooperative translation project for producing translations of Hellenistic astrological texts which will then be presented online to the public for free. Like many of you I have become somewhat impatient with the slow rate of publication of translations of Hellenistic astrological texts, so I thought that it was time for the astrological community to take matters back into their own hands, and to finally move forward with the revival of the Hellenistic tradition.
So far I have been working on the project with a group of friends, and we have already had two translations contributed to the site. Both are from texts that have never been translated and published anywhere before, as far as I know. They are still works in progress, but I thought that many of the people on this forum would find them interesting.
The first is a chapter from book 9 of Vettius Valens' Anthology where Valens is discussing the concept that would later become known as the decumbiture chart:
http://hellenisticastrology.com/wiki/in ... _Chapter_5
The second translation is from the later 'Hellenistic' author Rhetorius of Egypt where he outlines the topics and significations associated with the 12 places or houses:
http://hellenisticastrology.com/wiki/in ... lve_Places
I'm still in the process of entering in all of the Greek text for each of these translations, and we still have much work to do, but I wanted to let everyone know what we are up to.
We are still looking for new members to join us and to contribute to the project, particularly if they are bilingual, although we are pretty much open to anyone who feels that they have something useful that they could contribute to the project.
We feel like it is time to open up the study of Hellenistic astrology to the wider community, since the tradition belongs to all of us. If you would like to be involved then just let us know.
Here is the link to our main page again: http://hellenisticastrology.com