Volguine: The Ruler Of The Nativity 1 by Mark I have been offered a reasonably priced copy of Volguine's ''The Ruler Of The Nativity''. I am wondering whether this book is worth having from a traditional natal perspective? I may be being naive but as a prominent 20th century French astrologer is it right to assume Volgiuine was heavily influenced by Morin? I would be most interested in hearing the views of anyone that has read this book. The only book I have by Volguine at present is Lunar Astrology and that certainly has some interesting material. Thanks Mark Quote Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:15 pm
2 by Andrew Bevan I would have to comment this book by vague memory only. Either I have had a copy of this book and mislaid it, and it is hiding in my bookshelf somewhere, or I have posessed this book and sold it. I do seem to recall that the contents disappointed me and it was not what I expected. Maybe someone else can give a better account of the title. I will see whether it turns up. http://www.astronor.com Quote Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:29 pm
3 by Mark Thanks Andrew, As I indicated I have his book on Lunar Astrology and think it was highly impressive considering it was written pre-WWII. He was undoubtably one of the pioneers of the revival of interest in lunar mansions. While Vivian Robson simply described the mansions Volguine offered analysis of them in real nativities. In addition I noticed Tom made a favourable comment about his book on Solar Returns too. I have actually decided to go ahead and buy the book out of pure curiousity! However, I have been warned.... Volguine possibly loses something in translation as a Russian, writing in French and then translated into English! Even if it is a slight disappointment nothing can compare to the anti-climax of Dane Rudhyar's book ''The Galactic Dimension of Astrology''. With an interest in fixed stars I really wanted to like this book. However, I found it probably the most opaque and incoherent astrology book I have ever read. Quote Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:44 pm
Volguine 4 by RegulusAstrology Mark, I bought Volguine's book on the Ruler of the Chart some years back. It was garbage and I threw it in the trash. I also have his book on Solar Returns and Lunar Astrology which remain on my bookshelf. That sums up my opinion. I recommend sticking with Ibn Ezra's formula for Ruler of the Chart. If you want to monkey around with it, try computing it using both whole sign and quadrant-based houses systems. Also you might try assigning each dignity a score of 1 (as Ben Dykes suggests) instead of the 5-4-3-2-1 scoring method. I also have thrown out Chaldean decans and use the decans defined by triplicity in all my al-mubtazz scoring methods as of late. Hope this is helpful. Dr. H. World Class Research in Medieval Predictive Astrology www.regulus-astrology.com Quote Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:34 am
5 by Tom I found it probably the most opaque and incoherent astrology book I have ever read That might describe more than one Rudhyar book. Tom Quote Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:39 am
6 by margherita Tom wrote:I found it probably the most opaque and incoherent astrology book I have ever read That might describe more than one Rudhyar book. Tom Margherita Traditional astrology at http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com Quote Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:34 am