Page 1 of 1

Astrology hits the News in Iceland

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:36 pm
by Andrew Bevan
On the background of a thread we've had at the Mundane section on the Chart of Iceland I was contacted by the Icelandic commercial television company VISIR and asked whether I would participate in a spot on their Wednesday Night News. The clip may be viewed here: Visir.is

Although I am featured in this clip, I think the channel made a good job so that anyone else participating in similar kind of work may be able to take this experience with them and use it in these projects.

First, the television channel VISIR succeed in giving astrology a respectable presentation in their evening news. Obviously, astrology offers an alternative view on their national crises but no one is laughing. The interview includes pictures from political meetings, public protests and everyday life in Iceland. There is no getting stuck on mystical astrological symbols that the audience do not understand. The interviewer explains the background for the situation in Icelandic and regarding the involvement and observations made in the Skyscript thread in 2008. Then she asks me to summerize the situation. There is no Pluto, no Saturn, no Jupiter or ascendant, or nothing - just the summary in English.

Then the interviewer says something else about how an astrologer works (if I got it right) and what is going on in the National Chart of Iceland towards the Summer. This leads up to a second comment from the astrologer that is based upon transit Jupiter (and later Uranus) reaching the cusp of the 7th house of the national chart. Again the astrological jargon is left to one side. The result is a rather fresh and intelligent astrological commentary on the current issues in Iceland that everyone can understand - and biases do not have to become a part of it.

If someone else finds it useful - fine. :'

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:01 am
by Steve
Hi Andrew, I am not familiar with the crisis that is occurring in Iceland nor have I done in kind of work with the national chart. However, I think the TV interview comments about Jupiter-Uranus later on this year has good probability of improving Iceland crisis situation as well for other nations. I have seen many times when Jupiter-Uranus symbolism is prominent in native?s charts?its combination acts as a ?release of tension? aspect. Of the dozens of combination of planets in Ebertin?s ?Combination of Stellar Influences?, he only offers one footnote for all combinations and that footnote was for Jupiter-Uranus where he states:
?N.B. It is often very difficult to assess the nature of Jupiter-Uranus constellations. They indicate, in most cases, inner tensions or strains which are then suddenly released. At one time, the author named this configuration the ?Thank the Lord? position, because people having such a configuration have repeatedly exclaimed the words ?Thank the Lord? after the release of the tension or strain from which they were suffering.?
Lets hope when Jupiter & Uranus conjunct later this year it will offer some relief across the entire planet (mundanely) from the Great World Recession which is hurting a large % of people.

Regards, Steve

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:26 am
by Andrew Bevan
Hei Steve and thanks!

Your comments on the chart should also appear in the thread on the National Chart of Iceland at the Mundane section: http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3832

My reasons for posting a link to the shot in the News here at Skyscript is mostly because of the media example. It would have been better if someone else had been in the limelight, rather than myself, in this instance - then it would have been easier to put over without confusing issues.

The problem with any presentation of astrology for the general public, and particularly when in the media, is how to popularize, stay true to astrology and communicate a reasonably interesting and creadible story without being taken for a looney. The astrologer is very at the mercy of the media team and I would give the crew at VISIR credit for the way they solved their task.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:18 pm
by Steve
I understand exactly what you mean! In some cases its even more of a problem when trying to communicate astrology to family menbers 'without being taken as a looney'.

Regards, Steve

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:34 pm
by Andrew Bevan
It also shows that discussions shared and entertained at Skyscript do reach out into the world and can lead to something if we continue to gather observations and administer our business in an orderly manner.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:55 pm
by Steve
I totally agree Andrew!

Regards, Steve