Symmetries: tropical Aries = Taurus?
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:22 pm
Hello
I'm sure this must have been dealt with somewhere on the forum, but I can't find it.
I've just finished working through Joseph Crane's book "Astrological Roots: The Hellenistic Legacy" (a good introduction and overview, but rather a lot of confusing mistakes). This prompted me to re-read Deborah Houlding's excellent article on the Classical Basis of Antiscia (here on Skyscript).
I chose sidereal quite early, as I really find it work better and more simply - the first (tropical) astrologer I saw told me there must be a mistake in my birth time, but I later found my military hospital birth certificate, 13:35, while my Mum had said 1:30pm. Crane's book confirms this choice for me - many of his example charts work more simply when shifted to sidereal, and of course the Hellenistic examples can pretty well be considered to be sidereal or tropical, as you like. At one point Crane says "As you may remember, Margaret Thatcher's Saturn is exalted in Libra" and uses this to prove his (tropical) point - I did remember that it's exactly at 21? Libra, but sidereally.
But the symmetries of antiscia and contra-antiscia in tropical astrology are very appealing, and while they can of course be worked out sidereally, tropical astrology makes them clearer. Antiscial signs (around the solstice axis, which have equal rising times at the equator, and equal day lengths and equal night lengths, e.g. Taurus days = Leo days) are deemed to have "equivalent" qualities. Contra-antiscia (around the equinox axis, and which have equal rising times and complementary day and night lengths, e.g. Taurus days = Aquarius nights) are deemed to have "complementary" qualities. So far, so elegant! But why not go the whole hog and put the solstice axis at 0? Leo/Aquarius, the equinox at 0? Taurus/Scorpio? Cyril Fagan suggested this back in the 70s, claiming that the zodiac first took shape in Egypt when the VP was in Taurus, and that the fixed signs are the natural "pillars" of the zodiac. Whether or not this is true, if the zodiac is considered to be arbitrary in terms of the constellations, why not go for symmetry? Antiscial "equivalent" signs would then have the same rulers, and contra-antiscial "complementary" ones would have complementary rulers (Mars/Venus, Mercury/Jupiter, Sun-Moon/Saturn).
I'm sure many tropical astrologers would say that the Aries zodiac "works", but we all find this, with the systems we know and have got used to. Or perhaps it's ,simply a tribute to Ptolemy and his epoch?
As things stand, it's true that a sidereal zodiac is, most of the time, out of sync in terms of symmetry of rising signs. But once every 26000 years, it is perfectly symmetrical: rising times, day and night lengths, rulerships. The modern tropical zodiac is permanently symmetrical around the solstice/equinox axis in terms of rising times, but eternally out of sync in terms of the rulership scheme. A Taurus-based tropical zodiac would be SO elegant!
(Perhaps even stranger than starting a tropical zodiac with Aries is saying that there is a "natural" sidereal one from Aries, Aries being the ""natural" first house, etc. This is frequently encountered in Indian sidereal astrology, and probably underlines the debt to the Greeks: it muyst have been introduced when already tropicalised, and was then re-siderealised and combined in a system with the Indian lunar mansions. As Fagan again pointed out, this has also led, for example, to the calculations of the Indian divisional charts from 0? Aries, when the navamsa, at least, could give better results when taken from 0? Taurus (for the harmonic 9th, repeating every 120?, this also lines it up with the other fixed signs: 0? Leo is 0? Leo in navamsa etc).
And my tropical chart actually makes some sense, I get the ascendant that that astrologer thought I was - so I might even convert, to a properly symmetrical tropical zodiac...
I would be interested in references to any documents you might know of about this question.
Graham
I'm sure this must have been dealt with somewhere on the forum, but I can't find it.
I've just finished working through Joseph Crane's book "Astrological Roots: The Hellenistic Legacy" (a good introduction and overview, but rather a lot of confusing mistakes). This prompted me to re-read Deborah Houlding's excellent article on the Classical Basis of Antiscia (here on Skyscript).
I chose sidereal quite early, as I really find it work better and more simply - the first (tropical) astrologer I saw told me there must be a mistake in my birth time, but I later found my military hospital birth certificate, 13:35, while my Mum had said 1:30pm. Crane's book confirms this choice for me - many of his example charts work more simply when shifted to sidereal, and of course the Hellenistic examples can pretty well be considered to be sidereal or tropical, as you like. At one point Crane says "As you may remember, Margaret Thatcher's Saturn is exalted in Libra" and uses this to prove his (tropical) point - I did remember that it's exactly at 21? Libra, but sidereally.
But the symmetries of antiscia and contra-antiscia in tropical astrology are very appealing, and while they can of course be worked out sidereally, tropical astrology makes them clearer. Antiscial signs (around the solstice axis, which have equal rising times at the equator, and equal day lengths and equal night lengths, e.g. Taurus days = Leo days) are deemed to have "equivalent" qualities. Contra-antiscia (around the equinox axis, and which have equal rising times and complementary day and night lengths, e.g. Taurus days = Aquarius nights) are deemed to have "complementary" qualities. So far, so elegant! But why not go the whole hog and put the solstice axis at 0? Leo/Aquarius, the equinox at 0? Taurus/Scorpio? Cyril Fagan suggested this back in the 70s, claiming that the zodiac first took shape in Egypt when the VP was in Taurus, and that the fixed signs are the natural "pillars" of the zodiac. Whether or not this is true, if the zodiac is considered to be arbitrary in terms of the constellations, why not go for symmetry? Antiscial "equivalent" signs would then have the same rulers, and contra-antiscial "complementary" ones would have complementary rulers (Mars/Venus, Mercury/Jupiter, Sun-Moon/Saturn).
I'm sure many tropical astrologers would say that the Aries zodiac "works", but we all find this, with the systems we know and have got used to. Or perhaps it's ,simply a tribute to Ptolemy and his epoch?
As things stand, it's true that a sidereal zodiac is, most of the time, out of sync in terms of symmetry of rising signs. But once every 26000 years, it is perfectly symmetrical: rising times, day and night lengths, rulerships. The modern tropical zodiac is permanently symmetrical around the solstice/equinox axis in terms of rising times, but eternally out of sync in terms of the rulership scheme. A Taurus-based tropical zodiac would be SO elegant!
(Perhaps even stranger than starting a tropical zodiac with Aries is saying that there is a "natural" sidereal one from Aries, Aries being the ""natural" first house, etc. This is frequently encountered in Indian sidereal astrology, and probably underlines the debt to the Greeks: it muyst have been introduced when already tropicalised, and was then re-siderealised and combined in a system with the Indian lunar mansions. As Fagan again pointed out, this has also led, for example, to the calculations of the Indian divisional charts from 0? Aries, when the navamsa, at least, could give better results when taken from 0? Taurus (for the harmonic 9th, repeating every 120?, this also lines it up with the other fixed signs: 0? Leo is 0? Leo in navamsa etc).
And my tropical chart actually makes some sense, I get the ascendant that that astrologer thought I was - so I might even convert, to a properly symmetrical tropical zodiac...
I would be interested in references to any documents you might know of about this question.
Graham